Temporary Communications Advisor (All Nationalities)
Start Date Jul – Sep 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 5 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to all nationalities outside of Nigeria
The Volunteer’s Role
Come showcase your writing and editing skills in Nigeria!
As the Communications Advisor, you will play an important role in supporting internal and external communication efforts during the final phases of the Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development (YouLead) project in Cross River State, Nigeria. This is a unique opportunity to apply your communication skills during the wrap-up period of a project with numerous success stories to write and content development opportunities.
You will also bring your communications lens to support the YouLead project team in drafting new material – in the form of writing new beneficiary profiles, social media content, infographic development, etc. You will also support in the coordination and planning of public events as a form of outreach to the communities and beneficiaries that have been impacted through YouLead.
Bring your skills and knowledge in communications to help support the closing period of a project that has positively impact hundreds of Nigerian youth and entrepreneurs!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Work with the member of YouLead project team to manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including newsletters, brochures, annual reports, e-newsletters, the YouLead website and social media accounts
- Organize media events, including press conferences, talk show interviews, documentaries, etc.
- Provide support to the project team in the organization of content, coordination, and delivery of learning worships in various farming technical themes
- Monitor and evaluate the overall implementation of the YouLead project, with respect to its communication efforts and report writing/editing
- Support various communications activities that arise in the wrap-up phase of YouLead
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or college diploma in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field
Essential Professional Background:
- At least 2 years of professional experience working in development communications in an NGO or other reputable organization
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience developing diverse communication and promotional materials
- Experience with social media content development – Facebook, Twitter
- Experience developing infographics
- Experience in media relations and media campaigns
- Excellent reporting skills
- Proficient spoken and written English is essential
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months