Full-Time Drilling Superintendent
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Job Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Status: Full-time Salaried
Reports to: Well Engineering Manager
- Internal: General Manager – Safety, Health, Environment & Security (SHES)
- External: Technical Service Providers, Government Agencies and Regulators.
Job Purpose/ Key Objectives:
- The Drilling Superintendent oversees all well execution operations in the Company. The Drilling Superintendent is responsible for safe and reliable well operations and for the safety of all rig site personnel.
- The Drilling Superintendent will be responsible for rig intake, rig acceptance and rig suitability for all well construction activity in the Company.
- Supervise all well operations – ensuring safe, reliable and efficient operations.
- Responsible for drilling rig intake and acceptance testing prior to start of well operations.
- Manage and oversee interface between drilling technical service providers and rig contractor.
- Review well engineering programs and ensure rig suitability for the safe and efficient delivery of all well objectives.
- Liaise with logistics department to ensure effective movement of materials, equipment and personnel.
- Liaise with other departments (e.g. production and facilities) to discuss and organize concurrent operations to be done safely and efficiently.
- Ensure statutory approvals for all well programs are in place prior to commencement of well operations.
- Verify and approve service contractor invoices.
- Supervise 3rd party contractors through clear communication and coordination of requirements to ensure efficient service and value for the Company.
- Review bridging documents between Company and 3rd Party contractors and clearly identify gaps and establish which standards and policies are applicable.
- Ensure drilling and completions contracts are available for all equipment and services and that all contracts are up to date. Hold operations meetings as required.
- Ensure rig move plans are safe and efficient.
- Ensure wells are delivered within budgeted cost and time.
- Working with Principal Drilling Engineer, develop continuous improvement process for rig operations. Carry out weekly performance improvement meetings to include HSE and wells operations improvements.
- Carry out regular rig visits with clear focus on Health, Safety & Environment (“HSE”) and rig compliance audits.
- Verify inventory of critical rig spares.
- Verify rig contractor preventive maintenance schedule.
- Ensure existence of control mechanism/tracking records of inspections and repairs for all components of the drill-string and other down hole tools provided by service contractors.
- Produce weekly rig performance evaluation and send to Well Engineering Manager.
- Lead and supervises the wellsite team which consists of the Drilling Supervisors, Completion Supervisors, Night Drilling Supervisors, Wellsite HSE Coordinator and the Wellsite Logistics Coordinator.
- Perform all other duties that are necessary and reasonably attached to this Drilling Superintendent position and the fulfillment of its responsibilities.
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by the Well Engineering Manager.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Safe and efficient well delivery – no injury to personnel, no damage to the environment. Well delivery within time and budget.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Educational Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree in Petroleum Engineering or related discipline.
- Professional certification in Well Engineering (i.e. IWCF)
- Minimum 20+ years of relevant work experience in Well Engineering and Construction with an E&P Company.
- Previous operational experience in West Africa would be beneficial.
- Experience in drilling High Pressure, High Temperature (HPHT) wells is mandatory.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Good knowledge of standard drilling engineering software.
- Demonstrate commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental performance, his/her behavior is influential to others in the organization.
- Strong knowledge of wells drilling and completion techniques and new technology.
- Must be a self-starter, inquisitive and confident to pursue new design and withstand challenges from peers.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal peer assistant/ supervision.
- Must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ruthless bottom-line focus, ability to translate and articulate technical solutions into the key business drivers, SHES, cost and production.
- Thorough understanding of the Company’s operations and profitability, in relation to the Well Engineering department contributing to and driving the bottom-line for the Company.
- Detailed understanding and application of the key drivers of operations and well reservoir management including seismic, reservoir engineering, petro physics, production technology, well engineering, process engineering and production operations.
- Ability to translate complex operational and development issues into simple solutions.
- Readily accept views and guidance from supervisors and input from subordinates.
- Interact and work effectively with other professionals in groups or project teams and with other Company personnel.
- High level of independent thinking and reasoning, based on sound technical and commercial fundamentals.
- Ability to generate good quality technical reports
- Ability and focus on driving own professional and career development (technical affiliations, Society of Petroleum Engineers etc.).
- Demonstrate high level of oral and written skills (English), good listening ability, demonstrate personal initiative and ability to mentor subordinates.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally across various Company locations on Company business.