Contract English into Kyrgyz freelance translator (2595)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Closing Date:15 March 2019
Directorate:Campaigns and Communications
Location:Home (not office based)
Working Hours:Freelance role
Amnesty International’s Language Resource Centre
As part of the Campaigns & Communications directorate, the Language Resource Centre (LRC) provides expert language and production services to the International Secretariat and the Movement. It leverages language skills, shares knowledge and streamlines operations to ensure the most effective and strategic use of language and production funding and resources. It does this by delivering high quality content and services, promoting best practices in the field of language and applying an innovative, multidisciplinary approach.
Skills and experience
The LRC are seeking English into Kyrgyz professional freelance translators to join their pool of external translation suppliers. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Kyrgyz as Mother Tongue (good lexical and grammatical knowledge, especially syntax and spelling)
- Deep knowledge of and fluency in English
- Acute sensitivity to nuance, attention to detail and good analytical skills
- Must have solid and provable experience in the translation sector
- Understand the importance of using accurate terminology, being accustomed to observing established guidelines & term bases, and actively contributing key terminology
- Good level of IT literacy and fluency with Office software and Internet communication tools
- Knowledge of Computer Aided Translation tools (desirable)
- Ability to work effectively to deadlines
Field/s of specialization
International politics, international organizations, international human rights and humanitarian law, development cooperation, media and legal texts, marketing.
Degree in Translation, Linguistics, Social Sciences, Journalism, Law or Marketing and Communication (or equivalent).
Please note that the selected candidates will be requested to undergo an unpaid translation test of approximately 600 words.
Applicants will need to provide at least two references from other colleagues and/or institutions/organizations where they have worked as translators.
Amnesty International is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.