Temporary Farmer Field School Advisor (All Nationalities)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Calabar and Ogoja, Nigeria
Location Calabar & Ogoja, Nigeria
Start Date Jul – Sep 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to all nationalities outside of Nigeria
The Volunteer’s Role
Are you passionate about agriculture and rural development? Would you like to share your skills with a meaningful project funded by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)? If so, this could be the role for you!
As the Farmer Field School Advisor, you will support the implementation of several Farmer Field Schools and their overall objective of improving the productivity of small-scale farmers. You will support your Project Officer counterpart in agricultural development planning, while working directly with small-scale farmers to increase the marketing of their goods, reduce post-harvest loses, and strengthen the farming operations of various beneficiaries.
As a UNHCR funded project, this role will include some direct interaction with refugees and a significant amount of field work.
Apply to this unique opportunity today and share your skills and knowledge to improve the wellbeing and livelihood of others!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Provide support in the establishment of various Farmer Field Schools to improve food security and sustenance in project host communities
- Support the facilitation of farmer-to-farmer learning in Farmer Field Schools in targeted locations by establishing farming groups
- Provide support to the project team in the organization of content, coordination, and delivery of learning worships in various farming technical themes
- Perform research of applicable value chains and market access
- Provide support, coaching, and mentoring to small-scale farmers
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture or any other agriculture and rural development related field
Essential Professional Background:
- 2 – 4 years’ experience in Agriculture work and/or small-scale farming
- Managerial skills, particularly in activity management, working with groups and teams of professionals, and liaising with government and non-government organizations;
- Strong experience in end market assessment & analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience in learning facilitation
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation