Permanent Head, Data and Research Management – Abuja
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
MSION is seeking a lead for the Research, Monitoring and Evaluation (RME) team. This is a new role that will provide leadership, guidance and management to ensure that MSION maintains and utilizes high quality data to improve operational performance. The person will have strong understanding of data systems and processes and will be able to provide leadership on the most effective and fit-for-purpose data processes and analysis and manage a team of specialists. This is a key role to ensure MSION’s core business and projects provide evidence that will guide strategy and demonstrate impact.
This role is responsible for building and retaining a high performing team who actively and enthusiastically engage with the wider organisation in their daily roles. You will use data and insight to highlight and influence areas where MSION can achieve transformational change in programmes, operational performance, and help us achieve our overall strategy.
The successful candidate will have proven ability to lead, motivate and develop a technical team with solid experience of working within RME. You will have expertise in analysing impact and organisational performance as well as the ability to successfully influence technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
With strong technical and analytical skills, you will have the ability to analyse data structures and processes to identify weaknesses and opportunities for change.
The detailed role includes:
Team Leadership and Management
· Oversee a team of 14, with 5 direct reports, including Strategic Research Lead, three RME Coordinators, and MIS Coordinator.
· Provide leadership to the RME and act as a champion for the team working across departments and with the Senior Management team.
· Champion the organization’s use of data & insights through providing leadership in the technical design and development of all data systems, management, quality, reporting and analysis.
· Continuous mentor and support the team to build their capacity on data management, quality, analysis, research and evaluation.
· Team budget management.
Analysis and Insights
· Ensure routine M&E systems are robust and fit-for-purpose to ensure quality and efficiency of data collection and analyses.
· Provide leadership and guidance on appropriate data analysis approaches.
· Ensure ongoing analysis of routine data through MSION’s six service delivery channels and on organizational data.
· Partner with key stakeholders to provide data-driven insights to inform business operations.
· Ensure data analysis, reporting, and insight is effectively shared with necessary stakeholders in a timely manner.
· Ensure the impact of marketing and other communications activities on service uptake and client satisfaction is consistently and effectively assessed and shared to inform return-on-investment and other strategic decision-making.
· Develop actionable insights from multiple data sources
Data quality and integrity
· Support and lead the team on ensuring the end to end data collection and reporting processes are captured accurately and meet audit controls and standards.
· Guide and lead the team on the design and implementation of routine data reporting systems including tools, quality audits, ensuring monthly spot checks on operational data are completed and that findings are tracked and adjusted in systems and learnings to improve data quality are shared as appropriate.
· Ensure that all data protection and confidentiality standards are adhered to and in line with MSION and donor policy.
· Ensure ongoing reconciliation and triangulation of multiple data sources and management information systems to verify and maintain data quality and accuracy.
· Ensuring all outputs are of the highest quality, and delivered in a timely manner. (This could involve, but is not limited to, supporting with data collection, developing M&E team capacity, M&E surveyor capacity, developing new analysis techniques, reviewing reporting requirements, data collection plans etc.)
· Provide support and training to operations teams on how to collect and record high quality data.
· Ensure that all data that is considered sensitive or confidential (such as client data) are properly secured and used in line with MSION policy on such data and that all data management policies in place and adhered to.
MIS, Research and Project Monitoring
· Ensure robust and fit for purpose management information systems are in place, regularly reviewed and updated as appropriate.
· Support the Management Information Systems (MIS) Coordinator to ensure effective administration of our multiple MIS, including ORION (DHIS online platform), MSI Connect, MATE and CLIC (client database).
· Collaborate with MSI Global teams to ensure our MIS are embedded in all service delivery channels.
· Support research projects led by the Strategic Research Lead and advocate for applied research and evaluation activities with stakeholders across the organisation and with the senior management team.
· Review and approve all operational data submitted into donor reports.
· Ensure that projects are monitored, evaluated and reported on, in line with MSION and donor policies and systems.
Qualifications & Experience:
· Master’s degree in Social Sciences/Public Health, Management Information Systems, BS in Information Systems, Statistics, Business or related field.
· Previous experience managing a large technical team in the NGO sector (desirable).
· Proven leadership and team management capabilities.
· Ability to multitask, manage workload and produce high quality, on-time work and report.
· Proven track record of delivering timely, high quality senior level reporting. Attention to detail is critical with a focus on clear, relevant and effective visualization.
· Competent in use of data technologies for performance management, with hands-on experience using and overseeing management information systems.
· Experience of data processing and analysis of quantitative data sets.
· Must have excellent communication/interactive skills.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel, and SharePoint collaboration tools.
· Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret complex data and present in user-friendly manner
· Experiences working with designing monitoring and evaluation strategies and systems in donor funded projects.
· Proficient in DHIS2 and Power BI (desirable).
· Experience of quantitative analysis software (SPSS/ STATA/SAS/R) is desirable.
· Understanding and knowledge on research and evaluation methodologies is desirable.
· Team player
· Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced professional environment.