Full-Time Logistics Officer (Commodity Accounting and Contracting)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP is currently seeking an experienced logistics professional with relevant expertise and contracting and commodity accounting, with a solid understanding of the overall supply chain to fill the position of Logistics Officer (Commodity Accounting and Contracting) P2 working with the WFP Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria.
WFP provides an apt platform for supply chain professionals seeking highly rewarding career opportunities. A job tenure with us is an exciting adventure which involves working in line management positions in any of our Country Offices (CO) and at the Headquarters in Rome. Staff have an enviable career path where their knowledge and skills are enhanced in diverse areas across the supply chain (SC) function. WFP welcomes you to be part of this exhilarating journey to facilitate humanitarian assistance to the world’s vulnerable populations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of the Supply Chain Officer in Abuja, the incumbent will perform the following responsibilities:
- Maintain regular oversight for Commodity Accounting data quality and integrity, processes and procedures implementation through correspondence and direct missions. Take corrective actions on systematic irregularities;
- Regularly visit sub offices and field locations to ensure standard set of documents are used, their flow to data-entry stations is timely and standard Commodity Accounting procedures are followed by all throughout the country with feedback to Head of Supply Chain;
- Ensure data captured in the system is accurate and liabilities and assets are accounted for at any given point in time;
- Ensure that transactions are performed according to the standard business processes and corporate guidelines;
- In liaison with other units and departments, identify bottlenecks in the commodity tracking and provide solutions;
- Build in-house capacity for normal and emergency operational requirements;
- Maintain internal CO business continuity through management of staff absences and adequate coverage;
- Ensure best use of new tools, material and guidance and provide prompt feedback to the RB/ HQ of any issues faced.
- Ensure Physical Inventories are carried out on a monthly and quarterly basis at each storage location and reconciled and captured in the system before the closure deadline, ensure full compliance of CO operations to IPSAS;
- In close liaison with CO Programme/Reporting Units, make sure Commodity Accounting standard reports including the SPRs are finalized and cleared by CO within deadlines and all expenditures and stock movements are captured in timely manner, reconcile commodity part of SPRs and Financial Statements;
- Include Commodity Accounting requirements into Logistics Contingency plans in terms of overall set up and required resources;
- Plan and execute training of WFP staff/counterparts on commodity management.
- In consultation with Budget & Programming unit, closely monitor sales of GCMF stock to the projects
- Lead the preparation of all logistics services including contracting, surface transport, warehouse labour services, clearing and forwarding, packaging and kitting;
- Ensure all contracting is carried out in accordance with the Transport Manual. Issue RFQs, analyse offers and in conjunction with the Head of Logistics and other relevant parties, agree on recommendations to the Local Transport Committee.
- Compile the quarterly report to the Committee on Commodities, Transport and Insurance, keeping track of all necessary contracts for inclusion and, in coordination with the Head of Logistics, ensure its timely submission.
- Coordinate closely with CO funds management staff to ensure that all budgets and budgeting tools have incorporated the latest and most up to date rates and contractual arrangements.
- Periodically review contracting modalities to ensure they represent the most efficient and/or cost-effective approach, provide inputs for the periodic reviews of country transport strategy.
- Establish measurable indicators to assess efficiency and performance of logistics service providers.
- Conduct periodic comprehensive market surveys for all logistics services and formulate recommendations for CO management.
- Build the capacity and knowledge of CO in contracting, related processes and transport strategy.
- Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education:·Advanced University degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- 3 years of relevant professional post-graduate in logistics / supply chain.
- Experience in commodity accounting.
- Experience in analysis of data, reconciliation of reports, identifying gaps in information and findings, and translating into information management products to facilitate decision making.
- Experience in contracting.
- Experience in coordinating periodic planning across functions and with partners.
- Experience monitoring and reporting on transport and freight market conditions and trends.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Experience working with corporate systems (databases, software), in particular LESS, is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as rotational contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit http://icsc.un.org .
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
18 February 2018