Full-Time Media Consultant – Development
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Cuso International is a North American leading international development agency that works througIntroh volunteers to overcome poverty since more than 50 years.
Cuso International is currently implementing a new five-year project: Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development Project (YouLead). Funded by Government of Canada through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development the project supports the creation of youth-led enterprises and employment for young women and men in the natural resource sector in the 18 Local Government Areas of Cross River State, Nigeria. Cuso International and implementing partners has developed a youth-driven approach to support sustainable economic activities in key sectors (forestry, agriculture, aquaculture and eco-tourism) identified by the CRS government and other key stakeholders.
The project will also strengthen capacity of government at State and LGA levels, youth serving civil society organizations, training organizations, and financial institutions to develop and implement a gender-responsive NRM ‘green jobs/green economy’ policy framework as the basis of increasing employment, self-employment and secured livelihoods for young women and men in the natural resource sectors.
Cuso International works in inclusive partnerships with stakeholders across Cross River State to reduce poverty through equitable and sustainable development. Cuso International recognizes that to achieve its mission a strong partnership with an interactive media is critical.
In the media landscape in Nigeria, people rely heavily on the information in electronic or published in the print and online media; especially given the evolving political and socio-economic rights environment within the country.
However, the standards of media coverage and journalism still require some level of improvements given that most journalists lack the training, experience and skills needed to write, edit and disseminate information, especially related to gender issues and environmental responsibility.
On this note, Cuso International is seeking the services of a consultant to train journalist on
gender equality and environment sustainability reporting. This is aimed at raising awareness on environmental sustainability and gender-sensitive reporting and to enable media professionals to promote actively equitable participation of women and men in economic activities through the media in Nigeria.
The proposed media workshop will support journalists in print, radio, tv and online media to provide accurate, timely, and objective reporting on key issues of gender and environment and the work of Cuso International in Cross River State in particular.
In line with Cuso International’s key development messages, the consultant is required to facilitate a 2 -day workshop that will highlight gender responsive practices as integral to achieving economic growth for women, men and children. Cuso International, through its Voice and YouLead projects, works to increase gender equality in access to opportunities, control over natural resources and it benefits, and advances young women’s equal participation with men as decision makers. In the same vein, the workshop will highlight that the natural environment of Cross River State is vulnerable to deforestation, gully erosion, bush fires, biodiversity loss and depletion of forestry resources. Therefore, environmental considerations are important to ensure that Cuso International partner activities have a positive and sustainable environmental impact.
Scope of the Assignment:
· Design a two-day training programme with modules covering key sessions on environmental sustainability and gender equality ethical reporting using key relevant policy documents such as CEDAW, SDGs, Nigeria Gender Policy etc for editors, editors-in-chief and senior reporters
· Prepare training materials, handout notes, practical exercises
· Conduct hands-on training using exercises and appropriate media report samples to help participants analyze and obtain lessons learnt and good reporting
· Evaluate the activity and monitor the stories produced by participants
· Carry out field study where applicable
· Produce a final report including observation and recommendations for Cuso International on emerging issues in journalism standards and practice globally and in Nigeria and what needs to be considered to ensure good coverage and quality of reporting by media on gender and environment issues
The first two days will be dedicated to familiarization and discussion on terminologies, writing techniques, review of case studies on gender equality and environmental sustainability issues and familiarization on various terms.
By the end of the workshop, journalists will have prepared relevant stories on gender equality and environmental responsibility issues ready for publication and shared these with the facilitator.
Expected Workshop Output: Specifically, the media workshop aims to achieve the following outputs:
a. Key media personnel have enhanced knowledge on the YouLead project covering on issues of gender and environmental sustainability as it relates to news reporting
b. Build capacity of journalists on how they can be catalysts for social change and can influence social norms, with a view to promote equitable participation of young women and men in economic activities.
c. Develop an understanding and awareness of how journalists could pitch gender sensitive stories to their media houses and how they could incorporate a gender perspective into all and any story they produce.
d. Work with media contacts to create opportunities for interviews and discussions with beneficiaries and other key stakeholders such as traditional leaders on gender and environmental sustainability.
e. Facilitate journalists to highlight and disseminate the work of Cuso International through the understanding of Cuso International Brand
Timeframe and Logistical Considerations:
· The assignment will be conducted in full coordination with Cuso International through Cuso International’s Communication Officer and Communications Advisor.
· All activities will be conducted within a total level of effort (LoE) of 4 days (from commencement of the consultancy);
· The consultant will report directly to the YouLead Project Team Leader on work output and deliverables.
Technical Components i. Experience of the Consultant: Requirements and qualifications
- MA or PhD in development studies or a relevant discipline in social sciences such as communications, journalism and public relations, or an undergraduate degree plus at least seven years of demonstrated professional work experience in international NGO.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation of workshops in environmental management programming, gender mainstreaming, advocacy campaign, policy and inclusion in the context of economic empowerment and livelihood.
- Experience in facilitating capacity development processes for media professionals to enable them effectively report gender equality and environmental management practices.
- Proven work experience in writing for mass media, media relations, and networking with media agencies and government counterparts required.
- Experience in implementing media advocacy campaign on gender equality and environmental sustainability.
- Proven capacity to take initiatives and follow through implementation, to think creatively and strategically, and to multi-task effectively.
- Project management experience, including strategic planning and the ability to turn plans into practical action and to establish priorities among simultaneous tasks.
- Knowledge of current thinking and practice in development communications, including both traditional and digital media.
Methodology and Level of Effort
The consultant will design and facilitate media workshop on Development Reporting, plan in coordination with Cuso International way forward or next steps in media engagement, and carry out a post evaluation survey of the workshop with the participants.
This a small training workshop limited to 30 journalists from different media houses to Increase their understanding on issues around gender equality and environmental sustainability as it relates to news reporting. It is expected that at the end of the workshop an action plan will be initiated to move the relationship between the YouLead project and the journalists to the next level of meaningful engagements.
The Level of Effort:
Pre-workshop preparation – 1 day
Facilitating the workshop – 2 days (With support provided by YouLead Communications Team as requested)
Post- workshop report review – 1 day (Within 2 days after the workshop)
Total = 4 days
Based on the project description and Scope of Work, the proposal should include the methodology developed by the consultant responding to the following requirements and clearly describing how the consultant intends to undertake the activities to achieve the expected project results.
- A detailed description of the approach to the work as identified in the Scope of Work, including steps and timing; and,
- A summary description of the Level of Effort (LoE) i.e., of the responsibilities, activities and outputs related to the work as identified in the Scope of Work.
iii. Fees and Reimbursable Expenses:
The proposal must provide a list of the costs and estimated reimbursable expenses that will be incurred in the implementation of the project. The basis of the expenses must align with the proposed methodology and LoE. Expenses include:
- Consultant’s logistical costs (such as travel and incidentals which should be considered negotiable); and,
- Professional expertise fees and associated costs. Evaluation and Selection Criteria
Proposals will be evaluated by the Youlead Communications team who will select the consultant with the highest technical score.
The technical evaluation takes into consideration:
The overall proposal’s suitability and soundness of the proposed methodology to meet the scope and needs of the project;
The technical and organizational experience of the consultant as it pertains to the scope of this project; and,
The best value for money in terms of associated costs and timing in relation to overall delivery of project.
Only local national consultants currently located in Nigeria will be considered.