Fixed Term Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Position Title : Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (FMM)
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 February 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission of IOM Nigeria and in coordination with the Regional Monitoring & Evaluation Officer, and under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager of the Support to Free Movement of Persons and Migration in West Africa (FMM West Africa) project. The successful candidate will oversee all aspects of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) as well and reporting of the European Union (EU) – funded Programme “FMM West Africa”. This five year programme aims to maximise the development potential of free movement of persons and migration in the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) by supporting the effective implementation of the ECOWAS legal and policy framework on free movement and migration.
The programme is implemented by a Consortium of Partners, under the lead of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), in close coordination with the ECOWAS Commission. The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) and the International Labour Organization (ILO) are the two implementing partners.
The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (FMM) will be responsible and accountable for contributing to the development of an M&E and reporting system for FMM West Africa. S/he is expected to carry out his/her duties in accordance with strict ethical standards and with due respect for gender and socio-cultural sensitivities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop standardized monitoring and evaluation tools and ensure their mainstreaming within FMM’s activities throughout West Africa.
- Ensure accurate and reliable data collection, entry, storage, validation, analysis and eventually results dissemination in a timely manner.
- Maintain efficient reporting processes within FMM West Africa.
- Develop reliable data management processes, including standardization of data format and structure.
- Support in the analysis of data, including generation of routine statistical and analytical reports as required.
- Develop and collate reports and/or regular FMM updates as well as FMM factsheets.
- Document monitoring and evaluation trends and activities on a thematic level, including the Demand Driven Facility (DDF).
- Review M&E plans regularly and ensure their pertinence to programme goals and objectives.
- Review monitoring reports from country offices on the Non-State Actors (NSA) Fund, and identify the causes of problems in projects implementation and necessary corrective actions. As needed undertake visits to the field in coordination with the NSA Coordinator to support implementation of M&E and to identify where adaptations/corrections might be needed.
- Assess program implementation and assist in achieving maximum efficiency in program delivery through timely M&E and reporting.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project assessment and liaison with counterparts as required.
- Design M&E matrices and logical frameworks as required by programming needs and in line with the standards set at national level as well as regional level.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project implementation and management, preferably in the field of research, monitoring and/or evaluation;
• Strong analytical skills and demonstrated managerial and organizational ability are required;
• Proven experience in: the logical framework approach, RBM and other strategic planning approaches; M&E methods and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory); implementation of M&E systems and plans; training in M&E development and implementation; information analysis and report writing; Proven ability to work in a team and with counterparts at different levels;
• Knowledge of MS office is a must and advanced statistical skills including knowledge of database packages an advantage;
• Knowledge and understanding of the migration issues in the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.