Full-Time Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist – USAID West Africa ASSESS Project
The USAID/West Africa Analytical Support Services and Evaluations for Sustainable Systems in Agriculture, Environment and Trade (ASSESS) project is seeking candidates for Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist. The project is based in Accra Ghana and covers West Africa countries receiving funding form United States Agency for International Development, West Africa Regional Economic Growth Office (USAID/WA/REGO). The ASSESS project provides program evaluations and research, monitoring, knowledge and information management (including learning events), and other support services to USAID/WA/REGO. The project is implemented by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in partnership with The University of Rhode Island (URI), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and other partner Universities in the U.S. and West Africa.
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist is a local hire recruitment (i.e., recruited in Ghana and based in Ghana). Any nationality is eligible to apply under these conditions if the candidate has, or can obtain, legal status to work in Ghana. ASSESS project is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of affirmative action.
· Reporting to the ASSESS Chief of Party, responsible for M&E technical support for evaluation and research, monitoring, knowledge and information management and other support services in collaboration with and in response to the needs of USAID/WA/REGO Agriculture, Environment and Trade teams and their partners.
· Draft, review and finalize Commissioned Activities (CA) scopes of work, technical reports and other deliverables, field technical support to evaluation teams and preparation and delivery of technical M&E content for knowledge and information products, platforms and learning events. Work with USAID to finalize scopes of work for evaluations; ensuring stakeholder interests are covered. Collaborate with USAID to review evaluation designs, draft reports and provide feedback to the evaluation team and USAID as appropriate.
· Collect and organize all relevant existing information for CA preparation from relevant programs and partners.
· Assist the COP to develop the CA implementation timeframe and scopes of work of the team members.
· Provide technical support for CA implementation by; participating on implementation teams as needed; ensuring quality and timeliness of evaluation reports and other project products with high quality and insightful, evidence-based technical analyses professionally written and presented and framed within the context of USAID and its partners’ needs; providing technical support in the sampling design, data collection tools elaboration, data analysis clearance and report production; and monitoring activity and budget implementation.
· Ensure information and analysis from CAs are capitalized for policy briefs and communication purposes.
· Prepare and manage data and databases, formatting, consolidating, storing and making accessible to users as requested by USAID. Provide technical support on ASSESS annual reports and workplan.
· Masters’ degree in Economics, Statistics-Econometrics, Agricultural Economics, Social Sciences or related field. Minimum seven years of relevant, progressively responsible work experience in M&E of international development assistance projects in Africa. Experience working in multiple countries in the region preferred.
· Understanding of M&E challenges in the context of development projects in West Africa.
· Demonstrated knowledge of M&E, including both performance and impact evaluation.
· Familiarity with USAID projects in the Agriculture, Environment, Trade and Energy sectors strongly preferred.
· Strong knowledge on survey studies (quantitative & qualitative) design and implementation and Statistical and Econometric packages for data housing and analysis (e.g. SPSS, SAS, STATA, EVIEWS, NVIVO, ATLAS.TI).
· Familiarity with USAID policies and business processes is strongly preferred
· Understanding of how to work effectively with a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including those from other West African countries and international development actors. Excellent interpersonal/team building skills.
· Strong written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated high level of capacity in writing and editing technical reports and other technical documents in English. Highly computer/internet literate. Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, budget and manage multiple complex activities simultaneously and meet deadlines.
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist – USAID West Africa ASSESS Project