Permanent Risk and Compliance Officer
Job title: Risk and Compliance Officer
Our client is a widely recognised Specialist Life Assurance Company in Nigeria, serving thousands of customers with bespoke insurance products tailored for each phase of their lives. The company is aimed at improving the quality of life of clients by providing prompt and quality insurance service delivery. They offer a range of insurance products such as annuity, investment plans, group life plans and much more.
Roles & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be reporting to the Controller (CRO) Risk & Compliance.
This individual will be responsible for ensuring that the business activity of the Company are carried out within a regulatory framework. Prove compliance support to various departments by collecting and coordinating internal compliance data with auditors. Provide administrative support by implementing systems, procedures, and policies; completing projects in support of compliance auditors within the Organisation in line with the Company’s Policy.
Other responsibilities are as follows:
- Perform risk assessments to understand the level, significance and scope of risk.
- Keep to date with, and understand, relevant laws and regulations
- Monitor compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies
- Ensure that Risk and Compliance findings are recorded and follow up with Management to rectify identified issues
- Educate employees on internal policies, laws and regulations; as well as the impact to the Company if these are not complied with.
- Investigate irregularities and non-compliance issues
- Report back to business functions on current risk and compliance performance.
- Highlight or escalate areas of concern
- Contribute to robust and effective compliance and controls with the Company
- Review marketing materials, presentations and websites to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Assist in the gathering of internal information in response to regulatory requests.
- Collate quarterly /yearly ERM reports
- Report and analyse identified risks
- Keep, update and report on risk register
- Coordinate and Compile Statutory Returns timely.
- Compile weekly report for Management meetings.
- Liaise with Risk Champions weekly and reporting on risk identified.
- Collaborate with other departments to create a culture of compliance.
Skills & Competencies
- Result Orientation/ Drive for results
- Conflict and/or negotiation skills
- Customer focus
- Attention to detail
- Decision making
- Good communication skills (Verbal & Written)
- Numerical/Arithmetical Ability
- Strategic thinking
- Proven experience as a Compliance Officer
- Risk assessment capability
- Ability to interpret risk
- Excellent Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with industry practices and professional standards
- Good knowledge of legal requirements and Control (AML)
Qualification & Experience
- An advanced degree in Finance or an MBA strongly preferred
- HND or BSc. in Actuarial Science, Economics and relevant professional qualifications e.g. Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment
- Minimum of 5 years cumulative relevant experience
- Experience in the Insurance Industry an added advantage