Full-Time Senior Director of Public Financial Management – Nigeria, State to State
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The purpose of the State-to-State (State2State) contract is to increase the effectiveness, accountability and transparency of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by strengthening systems to improve the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene – WASH); increasing the efficiency of key governance operations (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation); increasing government’s responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict. State2State will work together with partner
The Senior Director of PFM will lead the implementation at State-level of technical activities designed to strengthen the PFM cycle in States targeted by the project including budget planning, administration and execution, procurement reform, audit and internal control, domestic resource mobilization, and monitoring and reporting. S/he will provide oversight to technical managers and specialist staff in the State offices, ensure quality and consistency of technical interventions, and continually monitor implementation to ensure program objectives are being met.
Duration: 5 years
- Oversee technical managers in State offices responsible for budget planning and execution, government integrity, domestic resource mobilization, and citizen voice and accountability
- Assess technical needs at the State and LGA levels and propose interventions that respond to those needs
- Design program methodologies, approaches and tools that will improve PFM at the sub-national level
- Provide training, guidance and oversight to managers and specialists to ensure consistency and quality of delivery
- Lead process of continuous learning and adaptation, working closely with the Director of MEL
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, International Affairs, Public Administration or related field
- A minimum of fifteen years of experience leading/managing complex, multi-faceted donor-funded governance projects (especially USAID) in a developing country context, preferably in Nigeria or other West African country;
- Demonstrated experience building capacity in government or other institutions, including relevant experience in a developing country context;
- Demonstrated technical experience in public financial management, decentralization, government capacity building, budget planning and execution, procurement reform, or audit and internal control systems;
- Fluency in English