Contract Senior HMIS Governance Advisor
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Senior HMIS Governance Advisor – Nigeria
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladium develops and delivers innovative, locally relevant, evidence-based solutions to improve the health and well-being of people around the world. Since 1971, we have assisted governmental and non-governmental agencies, foundations, and the private sector by designing, implementing, and evaluating programs in HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, population and family planning, maternal and child health, infectious diseases, and gender. Palladium has deep expertise in policy and advocacy, research and strategic information, health markets and private sector engagement, modeling and economic analysis, patient monitoring and management/HMIS, strategic consulting, and program management.
MEASURE Evaluation works in collaboration with other countries to strengthen their health information systems (HIS) to generate high quality data that is used for decision-making. It is a cooperative agreement funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The University of North Carolina (UNC) is prime recipient of the award, and there are five partner agencies: ICF International (ICF); John Snow, Inc. (JSI); Management Sciences for Health (MSH); Palladium Group (PG); and Tulane University (TU).
In Nigeria, MEASURE Evaluation has supported the compilation of a national Master Facility List (MFL) and development of a Health Facility Registry (HFR) to be used by various stakeholders in the country for planning and other purposes. Palladium is recruiting a Senior HMIS Governance Advisor dedicated to the Federal Ministry of Health, Department of Planning, Research and Statistics (DPRS) for a 12-month period starting February 2018.
Purpose of Position
MEASURE Evaluation is hiring two full time staff, a Senior HMIS Governance Advisor and a Senior HMIS Systems Advisor to strengthen the capacity of the MOH DPRS to operate, maintain, and sustain the HFR. The Senior HMIS Governance Advisor will develop and implement capacity building plans that result in HFR functions transitioned to DPRS by the end of the assignment. The Advisor will build capacity to implement and monitor existing guidelines, policies, and standard operating procedures developed to support the HFR. The Advisor will also support DPRS to develop/enhance a results framework for monitoring HFR implementation, job descriptions, training materials, workflow processes, and accessibility guidelines for how 3rd party direct consumers can access and use the HFR ? all with the intent of a smoothly functioning HFR. All support for the Senior HMIS Governance Advisor position will be provided at the federal level.
Duration: 12 months
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- Develop and implement a capacity building plan with the FMOH DPRS that entails the following:
- Develop a results framework to monitor implementation plan and measure impact of maintaining an updated Master Facility List (MFL) on health policy and planning.
- Chart workflow and validate key policies and procedures governing multi-level stakeholder engagement necessary for maintaining the MFL.
- Develop structures and job profiles at the national level that would support smooth operations, maintenance, enhancement and use of HFR.
- Advise key partners in the FMOH DPRS in developing the training plan for phased roll-out and follow up supportive supervision of the roll-out of the HFR in all 36 states and FCT.
- Based on phases of HFR rollout training, make improvements to the training curriculum and as needed, training methodology, SOPs and HFR software.
- Develop guidelines for external stakeholders to interface with the national HFR system.
- Promote integration and interoperability of the HFR with data subsystems to enhance data analysis and use.
- Conduct routine meetings with USAID/Nigeria and complete all project reporting requirements to ensure implementation meets donor and international standards.
- Collaborate with MEASURE Evaluation colleagues based in the US and in Nigeria and participate in meetings as required
- A Master?s degree in information science, data science, public health, statistics, health
informatics, or a related field
- At least 8 years? experience advising on health management information systems or routine health information systems
- Experience working with national health programs including HMIS, including DHIS 2
- At least five years? experience working on Master Facility Lists and related facility registers
- Superior knowledge of project management principles to manage projects and work with multi-disciplinary teams including a broad and extensive knowledge of IT principles, methods and techniques;
- Work well under pressure, skilled in crisis management, and problem solving.
- Ability to achieve consensus among senior stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English are required to communicate technical information to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise
- PMP Certification
- Experience working in Nigeria, preferably with the Federal Ministry of Health and the DPRS
Competitive expatriate relocation package will be provided